Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Social Media can be AMAZING at times.....

Most of the time I find social media to be a drama filled nuisance, but occasionally you luck into a good story or link that changes your perspective.  I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with The Adventures of Super Jax on Facebook or his mother's blog at http://theadventuresofsuperjax.wordpress.com/, but I've been following his story for a couple of months now.  Sweet Jax was born with a rare birth defect called OEIS Complex.  His entire (almost) 6 months of life has been spent inside the walls of a hospital.  His mother's words are beautiful and raw; uplifting and inspiring.  And the amazing smile that Jax sport's most of the time doesn't hurt either.

Tuesday I log on to Facebook to do a little scrolling on my page to see if anything catches my eye.  I found a new post by Jax's mom, Tierney, that just broke my heart as a mom.  Jax's dad has taken a new job in Pennsylvania (Jax is in a Children's hospital in NY) and the family really wanted to stay together.  Combine that with the fact that one of the procedures that Jax needs is done at UPMC in Pittsburgh, and the want becomes a need.  Tierney poured out her heart on how they were looking to find a way to do a hospital transfer for Jax, and were being turned away at every door, or expected to pay a fee they can't possibly afford.  Her wall was flooded with responses.  It only took me a moment to realize that I have a friend who is the Chief at an EMS station outside of Pittsburgh.  On a whim, I copied the link to her post and sent it to him in a text, asking if he knew of anyone that could help.  In a matter of moments, Paul Falavolito, Chief at White Oak EMS, responded with a resounding, "Yes, I can do it."  I quickly emailed Jax's mother with Paul's contact info and requested hers to relay to him.  And that is where the magic started.....

By Wednesday morning, I receive a text from Paul saying the trip is a go and they even snagged a corporate sponsor through Cornerstone Adminisystems (THANK YOU!!!)   They've even been able to get some publicity for Super Jax, that will help the family in the long run.  It is with great JOY that I am able say Jax will be in Pennsylvania at UPMC sometime Thursday, July 25th (just in time for his 1/2 birthday on the 28th).

So, you see sometimes, just sometimes, there are great things on social media.  I sit amazed at the response and quick turn around of a not so simple request.  My heart is smiling and jumping for joy at the opportunities that await this young man and his sweet family.  May God bless you all!!  HUGE THANKS TO: Paul Falavolito, White Oak EMS, Cornerstone Adminisystems, and UPMC.


(All my prayer warriors be praying for safe travels tonight and tomorrow morning as the transport of Jax takes place.)

No comments:

Post a Comment